Refractory Studios

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Version 1.2 released; new game mode, new map, misc improvements

#1 2014-01-25 18:36:35

DarkJedi
Rookie Member

Repair pad noise

I've noticed that this noise seems to travel pretty far. In the level bunker for example, if someone is in the center repairing, I can hear it in the side tunnels.

I think the sound distance should be cut in half at least.

Another note, I played with someone who's upper range hearing isn't really that great (he's a retired machinist), he couldn't hear anything unless he is repairing himself or right up on someone repairing, and all he'd hear is a click. Perhaps adding some lower hz noise to the repair noise to bridge the ear age gap? My hearing is fine, so I have a large advantage over him for that reason, not to mention being able to hear the noise from a large distance.

Thoughts?

#2 2014-02-08 06:19:27

DarkJedi
Rookie Member

Re: Repair pad noise

Hmm. Did this forum just suddenly die?

45 something views and no opinions?

I hope this game has some support, because I want to bring back some good fun times that Descent brought...

GO TALON!

smile

#3 2014-02-08 09:26:23

VEX-Munk
Beta Tester

I like the repair noise, it gives a certain game mechanics.

Like drinking water in the savannah from a common pool. You must do it to survive, but it is dangerous as of other predators around.

Talon is not Descent, by the way.

#4 2014-02-08 14:57:16

Do_Checkor
Beta Tester
Website

I have seen this, but really don't have an opinion on it that would be worth sharing smile

Welcome aboard, DarkJedi!

#5 2014-02-08 19:38:53

CommandoRash

same here, I didn't really have anything to contribute.

#6 2014-02-08 22:03:39

DarkJedi
Rookie Member

VEX-Munk wrote:

I like the repair noise, it gives a certain game mechanics.

Like drinking water in the savannah from a common pool. You must do it to survive, but it is dangerous as of other predators around.

Talon is not Descent, by the way.

I like the repair pad noise too, I just feel that it's audible distance goes a bit far. Should you hear someone repairing when very close to or in the same room? Yes! Should you hear someone repairing from halfway across the map, three rooms over and a floor up? No!

Well I'm definitely the predator! Headphones on, I can hear that repair noise from a loooooong way! >:)

Did I say it was Descent? No, I said I want it to bring back the fun times LIKE Descent! You know, 200+ people going at it at any given time. I rarely see anyone but the few people from Kali I play Talon with playing, plus seeing the forum go idle for 6 or so days was kind of worrisome. I like the game and I want it to succeed!

Board footer