Refractory Studios

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Version 1.2 released; new game mode, new map, misc improvements

#1 2013-11-14 13:48:57

VEX-Ben
Beta Tester

Sounds in Game

I think it would be better if the sound from wall scratching are different to the sounds from weapon hits.
Now I'm sometimes not sure if there are opponents or only a wall behind me. :-)

Last edited by VEX-Ben (2013-11-14 13:57:13)

#2 2013-11-19 21:58:39

Splotchie
the lounge's pet leopard
Website

Re: Sounds in Game

I've noticed the weapon sound effects (and some other effects) can be kind of quiet.  There should be an easy way to fix that.  I could probably do it myself if I had the sound files wink.
Unless the sounds are licensed and not supposed to be modified.

Last edited by Splotchie (2013-11-21 16:26:58)

We live in a universe...                                                                    it's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce

#3 2013-12-03 02:10:07

Scott
Refractory Studios
Website

VEX-Ben wrote:

I think it would be better if the sound from wall scratching are different to the sounds from weapon hits.
Now I'm sometimes not sure if there are opponents or only a wall behind me. :-)

There are both wall-scrape sounds and wall-impact sounds that are in fact different from the weapon hits, but they are pretty quiet. The problem is(was) that the damage effect sounds are the same in both cases, and are overpowering the other sounds. (I have removed impact damage from the latest beta build of the game, thus eliminating this problem.)

Splotchie wrote:

I've noticed the weapon sound effects (and some other effects) can be kind of quiet.  There should be an easy way to fix that.  I could probably do it myself if I had the sound files wink.
Unless the sounds are licensed and not supposed to be modified.

With the exception of the radio comm chatter, all of the sounds in the game were made by me, either from source sounds I recorded myself, or source sounds pulled from a suitable library, appropriate for such use. They are therefor unencumbered by any license restricting such modification.

That said, I have made an effort to balance all of the game sounds; so I am curious which sounds you find to be too quiet. I am not opposed to adjusting them to achieve a better balance, but I am fairly satisfied with the way they are now.

I'm sure you are aware, but I have to mention anyway, that there are several independent volume sliders for different sound channels which can be adjusted in the Options menu.

(Yeah, I know I'm very late replying to this. What can I say except, sorry, I've been very busy.)

Last edited by Scott (2013-12-03 02:11:21)

#4 2013-12-03 07:58:09

VEX-Ben
Beta Tester

Yes, thx,- the sounds are much better.

#5 2013-12-04 19:03:42

Splotchie
the lounge's pet leopard
Website

Yep.  I just noticed that when the music volume and sound effects are at maximum you have music at a "normal" level and weapon sounds that are nearly inaudible in comparison.  To achieve a good balance right now I have to turn the music down to about 42 - 44% and turn my speakers up about 8 - 9 decibels higher than for other games.

It's not the end of the world, no.  Not a game breaker.  Just a little bit inconvenient for those who like playing with music on.

We live in a universe...                                                                    it's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce

#6 2013-12-04 20:47:17

Scott
Refractory Studios
Website

The sounds are at the volume they are because OpenAL seems to have bad clipping issues when mixing many sounds at once. Hopefully some day I will be able to replace OpenAL with a better audio system. In the meantime, I could set the default channel volume levels for a better balance.

Board footer