Talon Game

Refractory Studios

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Version 1.2 released; new game mode, new map, misc improvements

#1 2013-12-08 05:48:03

{NW}Rhino

Weapon Thoughts

(I'm very opinionated, but don't take that as a knock against Talon - I freaking love this game!)

I'd like to see more emphasis on the secondary weapons fire sound effects.  In Descent 3, you *know* when you fire a secondary, they have a very distinct sound that can be heard over whatever else is going on.  In Talon, I don't always "know" if I've fired a secondary (despite the button press) because I can't always hear it over the other effects, and I can't always see due to shield flares, weapon impact effects on the front of my ship (giggidy?), etc.

Is the Autocannon instant no matter the distance?  This could be a bit broken in large maps, especially space flight maps. 

I *love* the Disruptor (mainly because I haven't fought vs Roncli with it) - but it might be a little OP with the instant click-to-kill in the tunnels.  Perhaps it needs a charge time a la' Fusion?

Buster missile seems a tad overkill, but perhaps the risk of friendly fire negates this?

When one runs out of the currently selected secondary weapon, the ship doesn't automatically switch to the next missile tube - you have to activate your secondary fire again which toggles you over, then fire a 2nd time when you run out.  Is this by design?

Overall, this is the most fun I've had in a computer game since the last time I played Descent 3 (1.5 years ago).  Heading back to the mines... wink

Last edited by {NW}Rhino (2013-12-08 05:48:46)

#2 2013-12-08 12:34:20

Do_Checkor
Beta Tester
Website

Re: Weapon Thoughts

Hey Rhino!

Just so that you know: All weapons have been changed - some more - some less - for the current RC - you'll see that shortly  smile

#3 2013-12-14 14:12:34

{NW}Rhino

Good to hear, because in the demo they're pretty BS, I one shot everything repeatedly ><

#4 2013-12-15 04:51:36

sdfgeoff
Beta Tester
Website

I made this video a couple days ago, and it shows a couple of the weapons that you probably haven't seen.

If you're finding things to easy, try cranking up that AI skill. They're pretty good at dodging. But yeah, the weapons are powerful.

#5 2013-12-30 20:16:22

Scott
Refractory Studios
Website

I'd like to see more emphasis on the secondary weapons fire sound effects.

The missiles do have a distinct launch sound, but it is rather quiet. When I get a chance I will try upping the volume on that sound.

Is the Autocannon instant no matter the distance?  This could be a bit broken in large maps, especially space flight maps.

The Waveguide is instant. The Autocannon is not, although the projectiles travel very fast.

I *love* the Disruptor (mainly because I haven't fought vs Roncli with it) - but it might be a little OP with the instant click-to-kill in the tunnels.  Perhaps it needs a charge time a la' Fusion?

I considered that. I didn't do it mostly because it was starting to feel too much like a Descent rip-off that way (it's a very fuzzy line). Notwithstanding, I'm not sold on that mechanic. It does offset the power of the weapon, and add an element of challenge to get the timing right.. but I found that timing element mostly frustrating in Descent. Satisfying when you get it right, sure, but mostly it results in wasted shots. It feels like gambling, and I don't like gambling.

Buster missiles do a lot of damage, yes, but they are slow, and much of their damage comes from the secondary explosions, which are delayed from the primary explosion, thus giving you time to escape (if you're paying attention). And as with all the missiles in Talon, you must be careful with it, not only due to friendly fire (which can be disabled), but mostly due to the fact that you can quite easily kill yourself (which cannot be disabled).

When one runs out of the currently selected secondary weapon, the ship doesn't automatically switch to the next missile tube - you have to activate your secondary fire again which toggles you over, then fire a 2nd time when you run out.  Is this by design?

Yes, but if you want an immediate switch on empty, turn on Auto-Switch Weapons in the Player Options menu.

Good to hear, because in the demo they're pretty BS, I one shot everything repeatedly ><

The weapons are quite powerful, by design, but no single weapon should be able to reliably kill in one shot (against a fully repaired and shielded opponent). The Disruptor is (I think) the only gun that can one-shot-kill, but that's only if the opponent is flying away in-line with the trajectory of the shot, thus putting them in contact with the Disruptor shot long enough to kill them.

Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying the game. And let's keep talking about this, because weapons balance is something that needs a lot of careful consideration, testing, and tweaking to get right.

#6 2013-12-30 20:41:28

Smaragdadler

How about an instagib variant for all game modes,  with just the waveguide?

-> http://gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Instagib_Mod

#7 2013-12-30 21:17:02

CommandoRash

That would be fun

#8 2013-12-30 21:43:21

Red_Barchetta
Rookie Member
Website

Smaragdadler wrote:

How about an instagib variant for all game modes,  with just the waveguide?

-> http://gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Instagib_Mod

Insta Reap?

Red's Descent 3 Site
D1, D2 & D3 map downloads. Hosting USA South East Server.

#9 2013-12-30 22:21:26

Scott
Refractory Studios
Website

It was never a favorite game mode of mine, but I am aware of the popularity of it. I'm not sure if I will include that as an official mode, but I will support 3rd party modding, and I'm sure someone will make that if I don't.

#10 2013-12-30 22:28:54

Red_Barchetta
Rookie Member
Website

You had to be quick, and accurate. Best thing was, if you all used the same ships, the playing field was very level.

Red's Descent 3 Site

#11 2013-12-30 22:52:35

Scott
Refractory Studios
Website

Except for being highly favorable to lower latency connections. wink

#12 2013-12-30 22:57:44

Red_Barchetta
Rookie Member
Website

Find a low ping server.  :-)

Red's Descent 3 Site

Board footer