Refractory Studios

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Version 1.2 released; new game mode, new map, misc improvements

#1 2014-01-05 08:15:48

sdfgeoff
Beta Tester
Website

Minerva by Spaz (Removed by Spaz' request)

In another thread, Spaz posted the following:

Hey guys,

Spaz here. It was brought to my attention that there has been some discussion about porting my levels for this game. While I truly appreciate the desire to do so... I'd like to kindly ask that it not be done.

Firstly, and respectfully, the levels are quite literally my property. I worked supremely hard on those levels during a very difficult time of my life. They mean more to me than anyone can even being to imagine.

Secondly, they were created with the specifics of Descent in mind. I built those levels down to the inth detail... factoring in chording speeds, firing rates, weapon frequency, weapon respawn rates, and other myriad things. To port the levels over is to do them a disservice. Unless Talon is an exact clone (which its clearly not) the levels are not going to be the same.

I'd like to ask that instead of people leaning upon my levels as quick fix or a bridge into a new game... find some inspiration and creativity and build some new levels. I literally found inspiration in most everything when I was building levels - from houses, buildings, and tunnels... to movies, cartoons, and classic art. Hell, I think I even build some levels based on thinking about flying around inside of the Lego moon bases I once built as a kid.

Bottom line... please let my levels rest in peace. If they meant anything to you then please honor my request. I won't be authorizing any ports of my levels... by anyone... even my closest friends. Let the levels rest. Please.

Thanks in advance!
Banning Lyon / Spaz

Hence this is level has been deleted. But I think it should be OK if I keep the images here:
minervaimage2.jpg

minervaimage3.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

It played quite well, but the bots were reluctant to get into the passages (particularly the upstairs ones), so when making your own levels, it pays to keep corridors quite large. Also, the turning radius of these ships is a little larger than Descent, so careful counter-thrusting was required to make it around some of the sharp bends.

--- Original Post ---
Well, I've converted it and am texturing/lighting it. I expect to finish either late tonight or early tomorrow (my time). I've had a few issues with Torque Constructors stability particularly regarding lights, but that is no fault of Talon's.

Here are some shots:
[see above]

I haven't figured out how to do spawn points/repair platforms yet, so I've just opened bunker, removed the, um, bunker, and inserted Minerva. But this restricts me to the number of spawn points that bunker has.

Scott:
Do maps have to support the capture and hold mode? Because this map doesn't really suit it. I can't think of good places to put the zones where they will be 'fair.' There are only two real rooms here, and they are a long way apart. I suppose I can simply not provide the target zones. Actually, I've just thought of some places to put them...
And when you go into the map editor, it still counts as a game. I don't think this is ideal.

Notes:
- Yes there are changes, Talon is not Descent
- Ships do not have lights but there is a small amount of ambient light?
- Currently the whole map is a little small. You can't fire in some of the tunnels without hurting yourself. I need to scale it all up. Is there a way to scale evenly in the mission editor? I used a ruler to measure the distance on screen!

Notes to self:
- When exporting, make sure to deselect the LOD componenets except levelname.crx Otherwise it exports in such a way that Talon crashes when loading (Scott, if you want an example file, I can make you one, but I don't think it's your problem)

Last edited by sdfgeoff (2014-01-05 22:48:38)

#2 2014-01-05 08:31:51

CommandoRash

Re: Minerva by Spaz (Removed by Spaz' request)

While in the world creator, select spawn point, repair pad, whatever u want to make another of, hit ctrl+c to copy and ctrl+v to paste it where ever u want, then just drag it to the correct spot and save when done smile

#3 2014-01-05 10:01:25

sdfgeoff
Beta Tester
Website

That makes me feel silly! Thanks.

Most of the texturing is done now, and all that remains is lighting the corridors and adjusting spawn/capture points.

Still haven't figured out how scale up preserving aspect ratio. So I did it with a ruler

--- edit ---
I've left my laptop running this level overnight (verson 1.0.1), so if anyone wants to have a look, do. I think it's getting through to the internet....

Known Problems:
- Floor is 'sticky' not sure why. Maybe the blocks are too big.
- Names of capture points don't show. Not sure why.
- One section of floor in a tunnel doesn't display, but is there (can collide with it). I think I know the problem here, and will fix this tomorrow

Things for me to do (other than solve problems):
- Finish lighting the one end of the map (and adding details like the lights and capture point-pads)
- Add a few more capture points
- Possibly re-align some of the textures.

Last edited by sdfgeoff (2014-01-05 13:23:22)

#4 2014-01-05 20:45:09

Blarget2
Beta Tester

If you want, I can produce some HD versions of the original Minerva textures.

#5 2014-01-05 20:59:10

CommandoRash

To play a new level, you're gonna have to release the files for us to download because Talon won't download the .dif automatically.  I can't wait to play it myself. Blarget, HD textures would be sweet!

#6 2014-01-05 22:22:32

sdfgeoff
Beta Tester
Website

Sadly, in the thread in General Discussion, Spaz, the creator of this level, requested that it not be continued.
So I'll post a couple more images of where I got up to (in a few moments), and then ask that this thread be locked.

Well, it's been a learning experience, and I've enjoyed doing it. I'll get working on my own map now that I am familiar with the tools!

Board footer