Announcement

Version 1.2 released; new game mode, new map, misc improvements

#17 2013-09-20 20:25:22

Scott
Refractory Studios
Website

Re: billing model?

sigma wrote:

PS : if you are able to understand something of my explanation, I will be surprised. Like the fact that you have not deleted the post about piracy.

I do understand, and I thank you for explaining it. It is an unfortunate situation. I see how it feels justifiable. It is very human to get what you want when you can't see a cost to anyone. It is very human to feel justified in taking what you want, even when there is a cost to someone, when you feel that you are being denied that which you want. The path in our mind from "I want that" to "I deserve to have that" is very short indeed. It makes sense. When you see something that you want, but through no fault of your own you do not have proper access to, it makes sense that you feel justified in acquiring it by other means. I understand, and I sympathize; but it doesn't make it right. It doesn't make it fair. It's not right because there is a cost to me, even though it's difficult to see. Technically I don't loose anything if you copy Talon illegally, because it's not a physical product. I have no fewer "copies" than I did before. But there is a cost to me when my product becomes freely available to an international audience, because there is a carry-over effect. Humans being humans, some of them will take advantage of the "free" version, because it is there, because they can, even if they could have purchased it. And even if you couldn't have purchased it, it's still not fair. It's not fair to me, the producer, when you benefit from my work without giving anything in return. And it's not fair to others who do right in supporting me that you get the same thing for free. I DO want everybody to have access to Talon, of course I do, I like sharing as much as anyone, but we cannot always have what we want. I simply can't afford to spend any more time building Talon if I'm just giving it away. I am looking into solutions, I am considering various free-to-play models and such, but being a small developer with very limited resources, there is only so much I can do.

The truth is, there is no way I can prevent piracy, and I won't waste time, nor inconvenience my legit customers by trying. Talon will be released DRM-free, and whatever happens, happens. I just have to hope that those who can buy, will buy, and that that will be enough to keep me in business.

#18 2013-09-20 21:58:28

sigma
Rookie Member

Scott wrote:
sigma wrote:

PS : if you are able to understand something of my explanation, I will be surprised. Like the fact that you have not deleted the post about piracy.

I do understand, and I thank you for explaining it. It is an unfortunate situation. I see how it feels justifiable. It is very human to get what you want when you can't see a cost to anyone. It is very human to feel justified in taking what you want, even when there is a cost to someone, when you feel that you are being denied that which you want. The path in our mind from "I want that" to "I deserve to have that" is very short indeed. It makes sense. When you see something that you want, but through no fault of your own you do not have proper access to, it makes sense that you feel justified in acquiring it by other means. I understand, and I sympathize; but it doesn't make it right. It doesn't make it fair. It's not right because there is a cost to me, even though it's difficult to see. Technically I don't loose anything if you copy Talon illegally, because it's not a physical product. I have no fewer "copies" than I did before. But there is a cost to me when my product becomes freely available to an international audience, because there is a carry-over effect. Humans being humans, some of them will take advantage of the "free" version, because it is there, because they can, even if they could have purchased it. And even if you couldn't have purchased it, it's still not fair. It's not fair to me, the producer, when you benefit from my work without giving anything in return. And it's not fair to others who do right in supporting me that you get the same thing for free. I DO want everybody to have access to Talon, of course I do, I like sharing as much as anyone, but we cannot always have what we want. I simply can't afford to spend any more time building Talon if I'm just giving it away. I am looking into solutions, I am considering various free-to-play models and such, but being a small developer with very limited resources, there is only so much I can do.

The truth is, there is no way I can prevent piracy, and I won't waste time, nor inconvenience my legit customers by trying. Talon will be released DRM-free, and whatever happens, happens. I just have to hope that those who can buy, will buy, and that that will be enough to keep me in business.

I understand you. I am very pleased willing to pay for work of developers. Especially, for a huge fan of the work of descent. But, in order to pay you for your work through PayPal, for example, $ 30, I will have to spend 60 dollars on it. Furthermore In this case, it is will only one single online payment, after which the card can be thrown away.

Last edited by sigma (2013-09-20 22:01:46)

#19 2013-09-21 08:10:19

RazoRbacK
Beta Tester

Can I pay you now?

I am having such a blast with the BETA that I will gladly pay for it now. 8-}

Are you a Turtle?

#20 2013-09-21 16:14:35

sigma
Rookie Member

Scott wrote:

It's not fair to me, the producer, when you benefit from my work without giving anything in return.

Well why "without giving anything in return"? If you give me the opportunity to play a "Talon" for free, and if I like this game, then I can give you a few terabytes of good music, movies in high quality, all computer games that are at my disposal, free of charge. Or a link to download for free. Just tell me what you need. In a personal message. I'll try to find it for you.

#21 2013-10-01 14:02:32

sigma
Rookie Member

sigma wrote:
Scott wrote:

It's not fair to me, the producer, when you benefit from my work without giving anything in return.

Well why "without giving anything in return"? If you give me the opportunity to play a "Talon" for free, and if I like this game, then I can give you a few terabytes of good music, movies in high quality, all computer games that are at my disposal, free of charge. Or a link to download for free. Just tell me what you need. In a personal message. I'll try to find it for you.

I'm surprised that you were not interested in such a way to pay for your work. Given that many fans of Descent in Russia do not use the Internet for remittances. Do not you want as payment to get the latest new video games, movies and music for free? And more? In addition, if there was free dissemination of "Talon" on the territory of Russia, "Talon" may gain popularity among fans of Descent. At least people will know and discuss the "Talon" on the forums. If the game will is successful, you do not even have to spend money on advertising. If will the next successful continuation or modification of the "Talon" for Russian gamers  "Talon" already will not be an empty shell. A lot of Russian gamers now pay for a good games through online payments. Just Descent fans of such advanced gamers are not very many. But if there was free distribution of the first version of "Talon", Descent can gain more fans in Russia.

#22 2013-10-01 16:05:24

Foil
Beta Tester

sigma wrote:

I'm surprised that you were not interested in such a way [copies of music/movies/etc.] to pay for your work.

Why does this surprise you? 

Developers respect other developers (including musicians and actors and others who create works for a living).  It is a matter of principle to avoid obtaining another's work without paying them.

For example, I am a software developer.  It would be a simple act to get copies of all the games/music/movies I want without paying for it, but I will not do that, because I respect other creators, and I know what it means to be paid for my work.

#23 2013-10-01 19:48:58

sigma
Rookie Member

Foil wrote:
sigma wrote:

I'm surprised that you were not interested in such a way [copies of music/movies/etc.] to pay for your work.

Why does this surprise you? 

Developers respect other developers (including musicians and actors and others who create works for a living).  It is a matter of principle to avoid obtaining another's work without paying them.

For example, I am a software developer.  It would be a simple act to get copies of all the games/music/movies I want without paying for it, but I will not do that, because I respect other creators, and I know what it means to be paid for my work.

This is not my whim. It is the system. I would not have had the opportunity to play in the Descent at all if it were not for pirated copies and free    
mutual help. Principled people very quickly find themselves in prison in Russia. It is a harsh reality. Okay, forget about it.

Board footer