Refractory Studios

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Version 1.2 released; new game mode, new map, misc improvements

#1 2014-01-17 03:29:33

DarkJedi
Rookie Member

Joystick feature request : Set current axis positions as zero

Hey Scott, nice games a couple days back! I believe I mentioned this in game to you, but I figured I'd throw it on the forum anyway.

I guess some sort of option to set all axis as zero in the menus. Another thought is for it to be something that would happen as the game is coming up, because people aren't (normally) gripping their stick right after they click launch game.

It'd be helpful, because sometimes certain axis on joysticks like to drift a little to the left/right.

I am not particularly fond of deadzones, because they reduce the accuracy of a joystick when making minor turn adjustments. With deadzones enabled, you literally have to jerk it all over the place in a tight area very quickly to make minor turns, obviously this can wreck havoc on your joysticks mechanics and your wrist!

Thoughts?

#2 2014-01-18 00:05:53

sdfgeoff
Beta Tester
Website

Re: Joystick feature request : Set current axis positions as zero

Hmm, you quite often see this in Android/Iphone games, where a second before the game starts, it displays a screen saying: "Calibrating accelerator," and then using that as it's neutral place. (Which is hilarious if you're turning the device from portrait to horizontal at that time).

I see no reason why the same couldn't apply to joysticks while the screen is loading. Probably not the reading at an instantaneous point while the game is loading, for if the player bumps it at that time. But if you read the values of the joystick over a few seconds while the game was loading, and then took the Mode-average, you'd probably end up with a very good approximation to the zero position.

#3 2014-01-18 01:07:04

VEX-Munk
Beta Tester

But why would you suggest the "mode average" ? If the analog sensor from the joystick has a consistent drift and fluctuation, the arithmetic average best represents this drift, even after discretization.

I would really like a keybinding for "zero all joystick axes"....

#4 2014-01-18 03:44:29

sdfgeoff
Beta Tester
Website

Because if you bump the joystick during calibration, you may get something like this:

1 1 1 1 5 7 2 0 1 1 1 1

Of which the arithmetic average is not what we are looking for.
Yes, I am assuming that the joystick input is interpreted as discreet data, or at least has a workable signal/noise ratio.

#5 2014-01-18 08:51:15

VEX-Munk
Beta Tester

I see your point, but if you calibrate your joystick you should actually hold it in your hand like in the game, since this is the way you want to use it.

Last edited by VEX-Munk (2014-01-18 08:52:38)

#6 2014-06-13 23:22:43

Maestro
Rookie Member

This would be super helpful; it would be great to have this as just a button in the options panel.

Last edited by Maestro (2014-06-17 23:04:58)

Board footer