Refractory Studios

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Version 1.2 released; new game mode, new map, misc improvements

#1 2014-03-08 22:54:34

CP44
Rookie Member

Pre-launch Menu Blur

I just got the 1.0.3 patch before playing the game for the first time...
...the pre-game menu proceeded to blur itself out as if it was trying to be dramatic or was rendering via MIP maps in a 3D scene.

Moving the mouse around causes sections of clarity near the mouse pointer, but they re-blur to match the rest of the window with time.
Leaving the window alone, I see some flickering of the text and button edges.

Once I joined an empty server to practice (and found it full of bots), the graphics and in-game options behaved fine.  After leaving the server, the small menu returned and displayed the same odd behavior.
Screenshots were then taken...
Embedded Sample
http://postimg.org/image/jr67lfm7r/
http://postimg.org/image/6sl5ncn1r/

Windows 7 64-bit (SP1)
Intel i7-3770S
nVidia NVS 510
Biostar TZ77XE4 motherboard
(The XP logon prompt is from a MSTSC window...)

Awesome game test, though... felt like one of the D3 levels where you break out of the mine and play in the canyons.
Best of luck!

--CP44

[Edit for OCD grammar quirk]

Last edited by CP44 (2014-03-10 20:02:15)

#2 2014-03-09 00:26:07

Splotchie
the lounge's pet leopard
Website

Re: Pre-launch Menu Blur

This should probably go in Feedback & Bug Reports, although I'm pretty sure Scott will still find it here.  Seems like a very strange problem.

In the meantime, welcome to Talon.  Hope to see you (although you might not see me, I'm sneaky!) in the Warehouses, Outer Space, Basketball Courts, Canyons, Vendettas, Bunkers, Wierd-Cube-Rooms etc... tongue  No mines yet but I'm sure there will be.

Last edited by Splotchie (2014-03-10 02:19:14)

We live in a universe...                                                                    it's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce

#3 2014-03-09 23:28:28

Scott
Refractory Studios
Website

This happens when the nVidia drivers render the menus with forced FXAA. To fix: open your nVidia control panel, and set FXAA to Off for talon.exe. The problem is that FXAA is a post-render filter applied across the entire framebuffer after the scene is rendered, instead of during the render process when it could know where the edges of the polygons actually are. It's fast, but it's ugly.

#4 2014-03-10 20:01:06

CP44
Rookie Member

Perfect fix!  Many thanks, especially since it was a setting outside of your game.
I think if it has actually applied to the desktop, VNC, or general windows like the Note warns, I would have caught what it was doing and turned it off.

I saw the "Technical Issues" board for Talon and the line "For technical questions and issues with the game." -- totally missed there was another bug report area under Refractory...  move me as needed! big_smile

--CP44

#5 2014-03-10 23:54:28

Scott
Refractory Studios
Website

That's fine, it's really more appropriate here, as it's not so much a bug as an issue with the nVidia FXAA setting specifically.

Board footer