Announcement

Version 1.2 released; new game mode, new map, misc improvements

#1 2013-09-22 02:41:51

Scott
Refractory Studios
Website

Respawn Mechanics

Grendel wrote:

One thing I found a bit annoying is the process to get back into the game after death. First I have to hit the Continue after death button, then I move the mouse to the GO field after the timer expires and click it. Playing w/ a stick makes this a bit cumbersome. I would propose to do away w/ the "continue" screen and go directly to the timer. Plus, it would be great if simply hitting the trigger on the stick would get me back into the game (after the timer expires) so I don't have to let go, grab the mouse, navigate and click GO.

You can re-bind your "continue after death" key, and that same key should trigger a spawn once the timeout expires. So it doesn't have to be the space bar. You could, for example, bind it to a joystick button, but that doesn't help you if you have everything on your joystick bound already.

Early in development I had the trigger bound to that function, but the problem I had with it was that I would be clicking away on that trigger during a fight, and if I died I would just keep clicking and go straight to the spawn menu, skipping the "death camera" without meaning to. Now the reason I have the death camera with the continue button in there at all is so that you will hopefully get a chance to see something of what killed you. The whole system was designed to reduce the "OMGWTF just happened?!" effect of getting killed by something you didn't see coming.

So that's why it is as it is. That said, I'm certainly willing to entertain alternatives.

#2 2013-09-22 05:12:27

Grendel
Beta Tester
Website

Re: Respawn Mechanics

Ah. How about having the spawn menu on the death screen then ? After GO the spawn view could appear for a second before throwing me back into it smile

Edit: just tried respawning via Continue After Death button. I didn't respawn but the view changed slightly and after I did respawn (via mouse & GO) I was stuck in 3rd person view.

Edit2: no idea how I got into 3rd person mode. Maybe the new dedi server patch ? Haven't figured a way back into 1st person yet..

Last edited by Grendel (2013-09-22 05:30:21)

#3 2013-09-22 05:51:48

Scott
Refractory Studios
Website

You probably got stuck in either Chase Cam (def key "v") or External Cam (def key "lshift"). Dunno why. There could be bugs in the spawn system.

The thing about the Spawn Menu is that it is a spawn point selector. So you first get the death cam, which attempts to point to the player who killed you, then when you press [space] the camera is placed at an available spawn point, and you get the Spawn Menu (from which you can cycle through all of the available spawn points, btw), then you click GO and spawn where the camera is. This mechanic is designed to mitigate the danger from spawn-campers and reduce the chances of accidentally spawning into a bad situation (like the middle of a big battle) by allowing you to choose where to spawn and to see what is happening there before you do.

I could have it display a timer on the death cam screen, after which clicking your primary trigger will take you to the spawn menu, and another click will spawn you. I think that sounds like a workable solution.

#4 2013-09-22 14:17:30

Foil
Beta Tester

I was having issues with this, too, and finally figured it out:

What I found was that the arrow keys (which I am using in my config) move the focus away from the countdown/go button on the spawn menu.  Once the focus is away from that button, the continue key activates other controls, not respawn.

Board footer