Talon Game

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Version 1.2 released; new game mode, new map, misc improvements

#1 2016-12-01 09:38:31

PPski
Rookie Member

1.1.0.2 Patch!

It was great to see an official patch come out, even though I don't know fully what it changed. What I think has been updated:

- New music. I approve
- Two new maps. The Pumping Station was well made, felt very D3. The Killing Box felt very bland, though I'm sure it could be improved. (maybe rooms are a tad big?)
- Rear view in hud? (may have been there before). I kind of like manually switching to rear view, but I won't complain!
- New weapon selection. This is where most of my suggestions are.

Previously, you always had two primaries and two secondaries. Now you can pick 0, 1, 2 or 3 weapons (and at one point I could pick all of them - it then picked 3 for me). I would suggest doing one of two things:

1) Have it how it was (with two weapons every time). That way there is less mental load on an already intense game, and the 'change weapon' button toggles between two. You know exactly what you're selecting. Otherwise you have to change, look to see what you have, and then continue (or change again).  This is my preferred option.

2) If you want to be able to carry a variable number of weapons, make there be some reason to have fewer. Specifically, have a maximum global ammo storage. If you have fewer weapons (even one), then you have more ammo for that weapon.  If you go this way, it would make sense to be able to pick all six weapons, you just have a small amount of ammo. I would be happy with this option, because people can play more to their own style, including option (1) if that's how we play.

Keep up the work!

Last edited by PPski (2016-12-01 10:26:33)

#2 2016-12-25 18:00:22

Pyro GX
Rookie Member

Re: 1.1.0.2 Patch!

PPski: How long ago did the patch you mention above, come out?

#3 2016-12-28 21:47:17

PPski
Rookie Member

I don't know for sure, but by looking at the web archives it was between June and November this year.

#4 2017-03-16 02:39:16

Grendel
Beta Tester
Website

Just saw this and updated. Unfortunately the dedicated server function doesn't work anymore for me, after starting it constantly spams

In function think:
Error: divide by zero at talon/server/scripts/aiManager.cs (227)

in the server window sad

Edit: Just tried to turn the bots off, that seems to fix it. I'll leave one server up for now.

Last edited by Grendel (2017-03-16 02:42:01)

#5 2017-03-18 02:06:05

Scott
Refractory Studios
Website

Grendel wrote:
In function think:
Error: divide by zero at talon/server/scripts/aiManager.cs (227)

Thanks, fix will end up in the next release.

#6 2017-03-18 02:24:10

Scott
Refractory Studios
Website

PPski wrote:

It was great to see an official patch come out, even though I don't know fully what it changed. What I think has been updated:

Yeah, sorry 'bout the lack of release notes on that one.

Honestly I don't remember what all was in the patch. I lost track somewhere between the first and second kid. Sadly, I hadn't yet got everything under version control.

Pretty sure there wasn't any new music. There was one new map: Pumping Station was added. Killing Box was not part of the patch. Rear view is not new.

Upping the weapon count to 3 was the biggest change; but I wish I hadn't. It seemed like a good idea at the time; but I was horribly sleep deprived.

I agree with what you say in #1, and that was exactly why I designed it that way to begin with. I think wanted to change it because I felt like there were some weapons I was never using because I couldn't waste 50% capacity on an inferior weapon; but this wasn't the way to fix that. I've since put it back to 2 weapons, and tweaked the weapon balance a bit more (hopefully for the better).

Option #2 strikes me as a pretty good design, though. I might want to consider that further.

But it'll be back to 2 weapons in v1.2.

#7 2017-04-09 04:24:20

Grendel
Beta Tester
Website

Congrats to the 2nd kid ! smile

Board footer