Refractory Studios

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Version 1.2 released; new game mode, new map, misc improvements

#1 2013-09-22 20:57:05

Tweety Bird
Beta Tester

First Impressions

I played my first game of Talon with Grendel and Scott yesterday (with a brief appearance from Razorback).  So far I love this game!  I'm still blown away by the fact you did this all yourself, Scott.  For those who haven't played the beta, it's very much D3-like.  The ships move faster than D3's ships, but everything is smooth as silk.  In comparison, I need to play D3 on an old CRT monitor because the graphics aren't smooth on my LCD monitor.

I'm going to need more playtime before giving constructive criticism, but it's so much fun to play I shouldn't have a problem finding other beta testers to play against.

Thanks Scott!

#2 2013-09-24 03:58:23

Scott
Refractory Studios
Website

Re: First Impressions

Thank you, Tweety. I'm glad you're enjoying it. I've put a lot of work into it over the years, trying to make it feel right, trying to make it responsive and smooth and precise. I knew I wanted it to be fast-paced and thus I refined the input polling, physics interpolation, network compression and latency compensation considerably in order to facilitate the speed without it becoming skippy and chaotic. There was a lot of work that went into the engine behind the scenes that isn't easy to see, but I think it has paid off, I think it was worth it.

#3 2013-09-28 20:35:59

Krom
Beta Tester

I'd say part of the reason this game feels so smooth is because it is, or more accurately it feels way smoother than Descent 3 because D3 abused the hell out of the screen shaking effect which ruined the smoothness.

The ship definitely is fast and doesn't slow down nearly as fast as Descent ships did, so it took me a few minutes before I wasn't bumping into walls at every turn.  As for getting a feel for it, well lets just say muscle memory is a scary thing, I haven't played Descent 3 seriously in at least 7-8 years and I picked this up like I never quit.

#4 2013-09-29 18:42:34

VEX-Ben
Beta Tester

Great Game, Scott!

2 Joysticks are no problem and the graphik is very fine. We played this afternoon the first time and I think this was not the last time.
Sometimes I think the weaponeffects are a little bi too hard, but this is my opinion.

There is a lot of fun in this game...

Board footer