Refractory Studios

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Version 1.2 released; new game mode, new map, misc improvements

#1 2013-08-14 20:44:32

Blarget2
Beta Tester

Welcome Thread

Well I guess I will go ahead and start this off. My name is Blarget and i have been a long time descent player. It has been my passion for years and I still play the game actively with a clan called the rangers.
This game seemed very interesting so i thought i might as well sign up for the forums and talk about it.

One of the biggest things for me with games like this is I love to make maps because I am an environmental artist.
If it has a level editor, chances are it will keep my attention for a long time.

here is an example of a Descent 2 map I was working on.
scrn0038.png

#2 2013-08-15 07:36:25

Scott
Refractory Studios
Website

Re: Welcome Thread

Welcome, Blarget! It's great to have you here. I feel like I should have some sort of prize for the first user to post to these forums. I don't, but, maybe we can come up with something.

Anyway, I'm please to see a fellow Descent fan here, and a fellow map builder at that. Although you might find my Descent map-builder credentials lacking, as I only built maps for Descent3. tongue Really I'm happy to see an environmental artist/map builder, because I would love for Talon to develop a strong map and mod building community. Maybe you will be a part of that? I will be posting instructions for building Talon maps in the Map Building forum eventually. In the meantime, let me just say that I am impressed by the screenshot of the D2 map. The architecture and color scheme is excellent, and that's remarkable geometry to get out of the D2 cube-based engine! I'm guessing that was not easy to construct.

#3 2013-08-15 17:24:12

Blarget2
Beta Tester

Thank you!

I believe this forum will grow in popularity fast. You should post on forums like dxx-rebirth.com/frm and descent2.de and maybe even descentbb.com.

#4 2013-08-16 01:35:34

Scott
Refractory Studios
Website

I found descentbb.com, awaiting admin approval to register. I did not know about dxx-rebirth.com or descent2.de, but now I will check those out as well, thank you.

#5 2013-08-16 04:04:15

Blarget2
Beta Tester

Awesome. D2x xl is a port that adds graphical improvements and some cool custom level features, while Rebirth is a more unified stable port of descent. They both have their own communities and forums.

#6 2013-08-17 05:45:15

Thunderbunny
Beta Tester

Hi Scott!

I think I knew you as 'Scottris' in Descent 3?

Anyway, this is TB. Don't know if you remember me- but Bess (from team RIP) told me about your new game! Looks very promising!

#7 2013-08-17 09:24:37

Blarget2
Beta Tester

Welcome Thunderbuddy! I am glad to see people are steadily coming to the forums after my initial post. Lets hope this trend continues.

#8 2013-08-17 18:15:43

Scott
Refractory Studios
Website

Hey Thunderbunny! I remember that name. Yeah, I was Scottris in D3. I was never very creative with names. tongue

It's great to see some of the old Descent vets taking an interest in my game. Talon is not exactly Descent, but I think it has a lot to offer Descent fans.

#9 2013-08-25 23:21:46

sigma
Rookie Member

Hi all. I'm a fan Descent basically. I'm also happy to play sometimes Shattered Horizon, Retrovirus and other games .

I very much liked your ideas here. This project looks promising pleasure. I look forward to opportunities to play. I'm sorry my english, I'm forced to use online translator.

#10 2013-09-17 01:05:06

Splotchie
the lounge's pet leopard
Website

Hiiiiiio

After some difficulty I've finally managed to log in.  I'm a writer, musician, composer and sound engineer who is already over-working on two games.  And I'm an avid player especially of Descent and its ilk.  If it has any real ilk.  People have different opinions on what games are its ilk.  Or if it has ilk. tongue
Aaaand I'm odd, but you knew that before you read this sentence.  I'm pretty sure I'm not a sleeper agent for the otters.

And hi Blarget & Sigma.  And Thunderbunny who's never actually spoken to me.

Last edited by Splotchie (2013-09-17 01:05:36)

We live in a universe...                                                                    it's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce

#11 2013-09-17 13:05:56

WillyP
Beta Tester
Website

Howdy all, WillyP here, I play Descent 3, and run PlanetDescent.net.

I found descentbb.com, awaiting admin approval to register. I did not know about dxx-rebirth.com or descent2.de, but now I will check those out as well, thank you.

There is also a DescentBB.net.

Also don't forget http://www.descentforum.de/forum/.

#12 2013-09-17 19:36:10

Scott
Refractory Studios
Website

Welcome everyone!

Belated welcome to sigma! Don't worry about the translation, it's fine. Thanks for the support, I'm glad you liked what you've seen.

@Splotchie & WillyP: Great to see you guys here! Willy, I have tried posting to DescentBB.net, but my posts are apparently still awaiting moderator approval. I had to register a new account. It looks like my old "scottris" user still exists (wow, after all these years!) but I could not access it. Do you know who I could contact about that?

#13 2013-09-17 19:48:44

Hydra
Beta Tester

Hey guys, been registered for a minute but haven't posted smile

Most know me by by D3 name, Hydra.
I've done a couple levels, tuts, and as a programmer have written a bunch of utils for Descent over the years. I know TB knows me ;P

I really really miss the "D3" type gameplay and have been very disappointed that no one has continued on with it's unique vertigo style. FPS's are cool, don't get me wrong, but nothing like a Descent experience.

I have almost stopped playing games, but tbh, if I came across another Descent type, I'm down.

Especially since I have a ROCKING system now LOL wink

ASRock 990FX Extreme9 - AMD FX-6300 (6 core) cpu - Radeon HD 7950 (3 gig) - X-FI Platinum sound - OCZ Vector SSD - 8 Gig Ballistix RAM

#14 2013-09-17 19:52:04

Hydra
Beta Tester

Scott wrote:

Willy, I have tried posting to DescentBB.net, but my posts are apparently still awaiting moderator approval. I had to register a new account. It looks like my old "scottris" user still exists (wow, after all these years!) but I could not access it. Do you know who I could contact about that?

I ad the same problem about a year or so ago. Never got it resolved so I gave up.

ASRock 990FX Extreme9 - AMD FX-6300 (6 core) cpu - Radeon HD 7950 (3 gig) - X-FI Platinum sound - OCZ Vector SSD - 8 Gig Ballistix RAM

#15 2013-09-17 19:58:03

WillyP
Beta Tester
Website

Not a clue. Probably someone on .com would know.

#16 2013-09-17 20:43:02

Foil
Beta Tester

I'll let Krom (the DBB.net admin) know you're having issues, Scottris.

Board footer