You are not logged in.

Announcement

Version 1.2 released; new game mode, new map, misc improvements

#1 2013-09-27 22:42:18

Splotchie
the lounge's pet leopard
Website

Music

It turns out I may have some time to write a few songs for Talon (depending on what sort of music you want) after I finish my Creatures of the Nether EP.  I only have 4-6 more songs to write for LUX and a lot more time to write them than I thought I'd have, and it turns out I'm well ahead of the demand for music on Sol Contingency (I just found out most of the original songs I wrote for the game are now officially in).  So once I've finished the aforementioned EP I can probably afford to take the time to write a couple of songs for Talon.  I still doubt I'll have time to write an entire soundtrack... but I know of some others (including at least one person who's already here!) who could write some good flyie-shootie tracks.

Last edited by Splotchie (2013-09-27 22:48:41)

We live in a universe...                                                                    it's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce

#2 2013-09-28 02:54:13

Scott
Refractory Studios
Website

Re: Music

That sounds great! Talon needs some good music, and I would love to be able to credit some of my Descent friends with writing it! It's actually been on my to-do list to ask you if you were interested in composing any music for Talon, but I held off since you said you were already overworked. As you may know, this is a very low-budget project, so I can't afford to hire composers to write custom music, but I will credit you in the game and you would retain the IP rights. Maybe we can sell a Talon soundtrack album and proceeds go to the artist(s)? Let me know what you think, here or email.

#3 2013-09-28 03:54:12

Splotchie
the lounge's pet leopard
Website

I like the idea of selling a soundtrack.
Not being paid for the game itself is ok with me, right now my main goal is to get my name attached to high-quality work on as many projects as I can manage so that I get credibility in the industry.  Which is why I'm so eager to take on a new project when I find out I have the time wink.  Selling a soundtrack and making a bit of money from it would be a pretty nice bonus.

Last edited by Splotchie (2013-09-28 03:55:05)

We live in a universe...                                                                    it's distracting
beware of ounce

#4 2013-10-04 23:58:20

terminal error
Composer

I'd also be interested in contributing some music, I have a couple example tracks at http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php? … lbum;in=39
I'm not working on any projects currently and I'd love to be part of one.

#5 2013-10-05 02:53:45

Scott
Refractory Studios
Website

Great! I would be pleased to include work from both of you. What I'm looking for mainly is fast, aggressive battle/fight music of the rock/techno persuasion, ideally with a nice old-school combat game vibe (but not full on 8bit retro).

It does not need to be exclusive to Talon. If either of you have music in your collection that you have already composed that is thematically and legally suitable, I would be happy to use that.

#6 2013-10-07 10:37:05

terminal error
Composer

do you plan on songs being played on rotation in-game, or looped with one song per map?

#7 2013-10-08 03:58:46

Scott
Refractory Studios
Website

I'm thinking that I will allow maps to define their playlist. That way they could just loop a single song, or play several songs. They could pull from a common pool of music, or have their own unique tracks. I think that would work well.

#8 2013-10-08 15:13:19

Splotchie
the lounge's pet leopard
Website

Cool.
I always get annoyed at people who listen to acid music and 303 synths and call it 8-bit.  (because it sounds nothing like 8-bit).  So I guess I won't risk those here.  Are some vaguely atmospheric incomprehensible vocals (like the ones on some of the D2 redbook songs like Cold Reality or Gunner Down) ok?  I like to use those sometimes when I'm not writing lyrical songs.

I may actually have a couple of instrumental tracks that I had originally written for Miner Wars just before KSH got rid of Dan Wentz and all the community music.  So they hadn't actually got around to sending me the soundtrack contract or whatever it was at that point, and those two (or three if I can find the third one, but I don't even remember if I like it) songs are still free for me to give to anybody.  They do have a lot of orchestral instrumentation -- being for Miner Wars -- and some in the community have heard them already.
I also have a couple of instrumental songs from an album I finished last year a month or two after Never Look Down, but didn't release at all.  I'm not sure if I'll want to release that album now that I have bandcamp though.  It did fix a lot of the problems people had with Never Look Down.
And there's also Lethally Harmless from two years ago, with vocals so incomprehensible it might as well be instrumental and it was never used or released on anything, even though it's my favourite song I wrote in 2011.

BTW I still have your two songs from Planetdescent Error.  Good stuff.  I liked your artist name too wink.  Esoteric.

Last edited by Splotchie (2013-10-09 05:10:48)

beware of ounce

#9 2013-10-09 10:06:46

Scott
Refractory Studios
Website

Splotchie wrote:

Are some vaguely atmospheric incomprehensible vocals (like the ones on some of the D2 redbook songs like Cold Reality or Gunner Down) ok?

Cold Reality and Gunner Down are good tracks. Very memorable, I like them. I'm not looking for anything more "vocally" than that, but that sound is fine.

I may actually have a couple of instrumental tracks that I had originally written for Miner Wars ... a couple of instrumental songs from an album I finished last year .. Lethally Harmless

Great! Is there somewhere I can check them out? The MW tracks might be a bit too orchestral for Talon, but I'd still like to hear them. If they fit the style I'm trying to present and are legally available, I am not concerned about what they were written for originally.

---

To follow up on the issue of how they are presented in-game: I am considering implementing a global user-configurable playlist, instead of allowing the maps to define their playlist. Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Last edited by Scott (2013-10-09 10:07:30)

#10 2013-10-09 13:09:55

Splotchie
the lounge's pet leopard
Website

I like both ideas, and even maybe an option to toggle between them.  As long as the playlist can be set to shuffle so it doesn't always start on the same song when you join a particular level.

When I get home today I'll see if I can put those tracks up on Dropbox or something.

beware of ounce

Board footer