Talon Game

Refractory Studios

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Version 1.2 released; new game mode, new map, misc improvements

#1 2014-01-07 08:36:05

Smaragdadler

Talon and wicked rodents

Does someone has tried Talon (or Descent multiplayer mode) with an MMO gaming mouse like Razer Naga or Logitech g600?

MU11063.jpg

Is it worth?
Is it covered by online-multiplayer articles of the Geneva Convention?

#2 2014-01-07 09:06:30

sdfgeoff
Beta Tester
Website

Re: Talon and wicked rodents

To be honest, I don't see the point. I have a five-button mouse, and my mouse hand deals with rotation (except banking) and weapons (change and fire).

My other hand deals with sliding and banking.

Thus each hand deals with the same number of things:
Mouse hand: two axis movement (4 buttons), 4 buttons
Other hand: four axis movement (~8 buttons)

The only other things I use are mark target and chat, neither of which needs a dedicated hand.

-------------------------
Here's my ideal setup though:
3 normal axis joystick right hand, all rotation axis
3 linear axis joystick, left hand, all translation axis. Never seen one of these for sale though. I imagine something like a mouse, but can be pulled up and down.
Right hand deals with primary, left hand with secondary.

But that's not going to happen unless I get a lot of money, and can be bothered making the left-hand control device

-------------------------
The aim of a 6DOF control config is to get as many fingers on keys as possible, so having a full keypad on a mouse is not great for this sort of game.

Last edited by sdfgeoff (2014-01-07 09:08:28)

#3 2014-01-07 12:43:55

Smaragdadler

sdfgeoff wrote:

I have a five-button mouse, and my mouse hand deals with rotation (except banking) and weapons (change and fire).

My other hand deals with sliding and banking.

Thus each hand deals with the same number of things:
Mouse hand: two axis movement (4 buttons), 4 buttons
Other hand: four axis movement (~8 buttons)

The only other things I use are mark target and chat, neither of which needs a dedicated hand.

what about

- cloak
- zoom
- ship power
- AB Control
- prospective rear view

I'm left-hander (num-pad) with a normal 3-button mouse. Problem is banking while moving to a side + up or down and ship power. When rear view gets added it will even be harder.
To have 12 buttons just for the thumb and 6 on top of the mouse (4 way mouse wheel button + 2 behind it) sounds juicy...

#4 2014-01-07 13:51:40

CommandoRash

I have the Razer DeathAdder 2013 and its amazing. I have the deadzone perfectly configured for precision aim but I can move the mouse faster than my Griffin can move. I have primary and secondary weapon change set on the thumb buttons with the default controls for primary and secondary fire up top with the cloak in the middle.

#5 2014-01-07 18:02:19

Splotchie
the lounge's pet leopard
Website

I have a three-button mouse and still enough buttons that I use it for AB as well as weapon fire and switching.

We live in a universe...                                                                    it's distracting
=========================================================
beware of ounce

#6 2014-01-07 21:18:21

sdfgeoff
Beta Tester
Website

Problem is banking while moving to a side + up or down and ship power.

I've never needed to turn off power whilst flying!!!
What keybindings do you use? The default ones? WSADQE is a good system that is easy to learn but has some flaws, exactly what you say.
So I fly slightly differently. I fly with:
ADQE are the same
WS are strafe up and down
Space and Shift are forwards and backwards.

Seems like I should still have the same problem, because I use the same keys, but because now I am not holding down W all the time to move forwards, I can use that finger to do other things, such as strafe, while other fingers bank. By shifting my hand slightly, I can do any combination of banking and strafing. The most akward is SWE, but ERF is fine.

I used fo fly WSADQERF where RF were up and down, and in a practice with MD-1224, where I was just trying to follow him, he could outfly me every time. So I had a chat, and he suggested this binding.

But in Talon, trichording isn't necessary, due to unlimited AB, and normalized thrust. But it still is good to have the manoeuvrability there. The best skill you can learn in Talon though, is the counter-thrust your way around corners, and stop the drifting off to the side.

- cloak
- zoom
- ship power
- AB Control
- prospective rear view

in order:
- Keyboard (Rarely use)
- Keyboard (Rarely use, never in a situation where I need it NOW. And my pinky on the move backwards, is normally free to use it anyway.)
- Never use, I mean why?
- Probably keyboard
- Cloak = Mouse

#7 2014-01-07 22:53:40

Smaragdadler

Fast Ship Power is needed to rearm and repair on Bunker and Warehouse.
Zoom is useful on Frontier.
Cloak is needed when playing against Splotchie.

All this QWERTGFDSAYXCV-stuff is useless for me, because I'm a lefty and play with the NUM_pad.
Anyway I bought this NAGA ... I really like it - after playing some games today. But I need some more practice to get really good with it, because using my thumb for banking is unfamiliar. I'm still experimenting how to make best use out of the many buttons.

Last edited by Smaragdadler (2014-01-07 22:54:22)

Board footer