You are not logged in.

Announcement

Version 1.2 released; new game mode, new map, misc improvements

#1 2014-11-08 07:56:12

DarkJedi
Rookie Member

Twas good while it lasted. Hate to say it, I believe this game is dead

Subject.

Scott, if you are having any intentions what-so-ever at continuing this project, at least you can drop in every now and then and give an update on things, even if it's that you've been too busy to drop in and give us an update once in a while. I hate to say it, but dropping off of the face of the Earth is not the way to head a project. I understand, life happens.. Things take priority... However, if you have a major project with several souls that are interested, either keep our hopes up by posting periodic updates of your status, or just come out and say it... You've canned the project.

Either way, you got my $15. I got way more time out of that $15 than I would have at the ole Arcade hall.

It was a good run though, I felt you had something going.

Condolences,

DarkJedi

#2 2014-11-08 23:42:15

sdfgeoff
Beta Tester
Website

Re: Twas good while it lasted. Hate to say it, I believe this game is dead

I'm afraid you may be right. That said, I do still have a game every now and then with one of my friends who also has it. And I do check the forums roughly weekly.

Let's hope he comes back...

#3 2014-11-30 17:59:21

VEX-Ben
Beta Tester

sdfgeoff wrote:

Let's hope he comes back...

+1 ;-)

#4 2015-05-23 12:02:04

md1053
Beta Tester

+1 for me too.

It's not the first time I follow a project which is basically pushed by a single person because it's driven by sole passion. Probabily it's the fourth time. So I would say that situation like these always happen and are normal facts, but not good is the way how the project leader deals with them.

It's curious how an entire community of at least 40 hardcore members falls into silence when this happens. b.tw. WHAT happened?

Cheers

#5 2015-06-06 01:10:11

sdfgeoff
Beta Tester
Website

It's curious how an entire community of at least 40 hardcore members falls into silence when this happens. b.tw. WHAT happened?

What happened was:
- It wasn't fun for single player
- There wasn't enough people for multiplayer

Going against the bots wasn't the most fun thing in the world. They flew like humans and you got none of that all-powerfull feeling that many games give you, nor the satisfaction from knowing there's someone else you just blew up.

Going against (or with) other players was fun though, but (at least in my timezone) there were not enough people. I played 5-6 games with one of my friends via LAN over a few weeks a couple months after it came out, and once saw a player on an internet server, but there simply weren't enough people to make it worthwhile hanging out on the servers.

I still frequent this board weekly (I did see your post a while back, but was too busy at the time), hoping that it will revive.

Last edited by sdfgeoff (2015-06-06 01:10:59)

#6 2015-10-31 06:54:07

Pyro GX
Rookie Member

I just played Talon for the first time in 4 to 6 months to compare its performance to "Descent Underground" (see my post titled "Dear Former Talon and/or Descent Players" on this forum).  Holy moley!  Talon is as smooth as butter, and Descent Underground runs at like 5 or 10 frames a second.  It is such a shame that life apparently got in the way of Mr. Richards completing this project.  I thought it had a lot of potential, and absolutely loved the fact that it could be played on a PC without a $1000 GPU in it.

#7 2016-04-20 14:57:03

VEX-Ben
Beta Tester

SCOTT! Are you anywhere here in the space?

Sometimes I hope and look in the Forum, but it's so sad... There where only a few points to do and this very good game could be advertised. Why?

What a pity ... :-(

#8 2016-04-25 03:34:28

sdfgeoff
Beta Tester
Website

Well PPSKI and I have just had a great game in Talon, and were talking about it's current state. This game is still a good bit of fun, and I keep hoping more people will surface.

#9 2016-04-25 03:38:27

PPski
Rookie Member

Ditto.

#10 2017-07-06 19:52:42

Tali
Rookie Member

The game is not dead.

Scott is still working on it. He can't help not working on it. He added a single player mode. He's currently improving the physics. He built a few new maps. And of course the never-ending bug fixes. If the "deadness" of a game is only about whether the developer is still working on it, then it is not dead.

HOWEVER, Scott does not have the energy to actively try getting people to play. People are free to play, and to try getting others to play. But this social aspect is not where his head is, when he's trying to figure out the collision physics, in his "free time" from working a full-time job and being a father of 2 little ones.

So, no "player engagement". For now at least. If the "deadness" of the game is about whether it's being played by anybody other than the developer... Than yeah, it might be dead. But it is not because Scott abandoned it.

Board footer