Talon Game

Refractory Studios

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Version 1.2 released; new game mode, new map, misc improvements

#1 2018-09-12 04:24:32

Hypersonic

Playing in 4K

With default Windows app settings you'll only see the top left quadrant. As with many other game engines from decades back (like Quake2.)

To see the entire screen:
right click -> properties -> compatibility -> change high dpi settings
-check 'Override high DPI scaling behavior.' Scaling performed by: application

However, like in the Quake2 engine, the 2D graphics are scaled to number of pixels rather than percentage of the screen, so you'll have to squint to read the text. Kerbal Space program is like this at 4K as well by default, but there is a setting to make the text larger, perhaps Talon has this as well?

#2 2018-09-12 05:41:10

Scott
Refractory Studios
Website

Re: Playing in 4K

It doesn't.. but it's something I'm going to have to look into. Unfortunately the GUI system isn't designed for this; layouts are going to break if the text is simply made larger.

#3 2018-09-12 06:35:30

Hypersonic

To keep text crisp, perhaps only quadruple sizes of 2D graphics instead of a bunch of 'in between sizes', where 1 pixel turns into exactly 4 pixels? I'm sure truetype fonts would be overkill. Current positioning seems to factor in resolution though as graphics that were centered are still centered.

Much of the HUD graphics seems to already scale well though.

#4 2018-09-12 22:17:27

Hypersonic

DXX Rebirth seems to scale the 2D icons to 4K
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLu7 … tE8r-GmJCY

FitzQuake doesn't seem to scale at all though (what Quakespasm is based on), the Quake1 source port I modified for some fun 6DOF action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLu7 … MhG9ngmv5E

Sure is fun going crazy fast, but too fast might not make for good multiplayer action due to being a ridiculous difficult target to aim for. Needless to say I always choose the Stiletto in Talon!

Board footer